Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Walk in the Park in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is such a packed, crazy city. Syamarani didi and I were walking in the park the other day, and seeing all the people I got inspired to distribute books. So, I went back to the temple and got some books and went back out. The devotees here think its really hard to talk to Chinese people, and to some extent that is true, but I met so many wonderful people. I felt so guided by Gurudeva and Krsna as I was walking. Not thinking about anything - just allowing them to guide me to those souls waiting for these books. I stopped to talk to this elderly man sitting on a bench. I showed him the book To Be Controlled by Love in Chinese and he said, "I don't believe in religion. I only believe in myself." I said that's good - Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita to abandon all varieties of religion and surrender to Him. He was flipping through the pages of the book and I said, "Just take it home and read it and if you don't like it you can give it away to a friend." He kept looking at the pages and looked really intrigued. I said, "The book is free, but if you want to give a donation so we can print more, that would be great." He said, "I'm a poor man." I said, "No problem - whatever you can give is fine, even if it is 1 or 2 dollars. So he pulled 20 dollars (Hong Kong dollars, which is like 3US) out of his pocket. It was a really genuine exchange.

Then today I was walking in the park and I dropped a book right in front of this bench where 2 ladies were sitting. I took the sign that this book was for one them. So, I said, "I have this beautiful book for you." One lady took it and said Jesus saves. At first I thought, maybe I should keep moving, but some force (not of my own) made me stay to talk with her. Turns out we had the most lovely conversation! I said, "There is one God, with many names - Jesus, Allah, Buddha and Krsna." She said, "Yes, I believe that." Then I showed her a picture of Krsna. She asked, "What does He represent?" I said, "God." She looked interested. I then gave her a flyer for the art program we were having the following day and told her we would love for her to come and I think she would find it a wonderful cultural experience. She read the flyer and she said, "Are you a vegetarian?" I said yes and she got so excited and said she is too. She became a vegetarian because of a heart attack 10 years ago so said she did it for health, not because of faith. I said, "But don't you feel good now?" She said she feels more peaceful. I explained that is because the way animals are killed is so cruel and the consciousness of the person who kills them comes into us." She said, "You are brilliant." It was really sweet. Her name was Margaret and she said she was so happy to meet me and is going to call her Indian friend and see if she will come to the art program.

Transcendental book distribution ki jaya!

No comments:

Post a Comment