Wednesday, December 15, 2010



Book Distribution Asylum Seeker Centre, Cork

All Glories to Sri Guru and Guaranga! I started the book distribution on 6th December 2010 from the main reception of the centre. During this time, one lady refused to take one initially saying she was a Christian. I told her I also love Jesus Christ and that there is only one God, she took the book. Another resident of the name Charles spoke about how he never ate beef but ate other meat such as chicken. He was happy to receive a book.

I gave a book to a lady who faces deportation, she was very happy to take a book and posed for photos with it. Another lady took one but refused to be photographed. One Brahmin asylum seeker from Mauritius was thrilled to take a book and asked for 5 more to distribute amongst his friends in the centre.

That evening, when I was finishing my shift I left some books in the reception area. I was delighted to see that the next day, 7th December, they were all gone. When I was going for my lunch, I left more on the table in reception and when I was finishing that day, I left more there.

On the 8th December, there was a lot of fighting in the centre, two ladies were arguing all day and it was really taking a lot of time and energy to restore the peace. The arguing was going on two days.

One of the ladies involved came to the office to speak to the manager and when she was waiting to go in I handed her a book. She left it to one side while she went in and spoke to the manager. When she came out, I said to her “Don’t forget your book”. She replied, “You want me to read this?”

I was surprised when the security guard next to me said to her “Yes, go read it, it’s a book about peace, love and harmony, you really need that now! Go read it!” I was amazed at the power of a pure vaishnav, Gurudeva is truly merciful!

I realized that leaving the books in the reception area was an ideal place, as the centre is open 24 hours a day and this gives residents a chance to take a book when I am not here. Sixty books out of a hundred have been distributed and I am sure that they will be gone by next week.

I am thinking of keeping some to one side to give to people in times of strife such as the arguing this week that turned to violence and assault and terrified the children of those involved who were present at the time.

I will be in touch soon with another update!

Your lowly servant

Tarini

No comments:

Post a Comment